Over the summer, our Creative Activities leader Christin faced the task of designing our MOPS centerpieces for the new year. They had to fit our theme: “A Beautiful Mess – Embrace Your Story.” They had to be beautiful and messy at the same time, easy and inexpensive enough to make six of them, and durable enough to last the whole year. Not an easy job!
She decided to base the design on our theme logo…
The MOPS theme logo and Christin’s design sketch for our centerpieces.
…with beautiful results:
Our “Beautiful Mess” centerpieces on our discussion group tables: Radiant Red, Outrageous Orange, Glamorous Gold, Gorgeous Green, Beauteous Blue, and Vivacious Violet.
The design includes a hand-crafted yarn ball filled with flowers (which are attached to pens) in a clear, square vase, all coordinated for the table color. They definitely created a colorful, welcoming atmosphere for our meeting room. Great job, Christin!
How to Make a Yarn Ball
For anyone who wants to try it at home, here’s how Christin made the yarn ball at the center of our centerpieces:
You will need: corn starch, tacky glue, yarn in the color of your choice, a balloon
- Make the glue mixture: 1 cup corn starch to 4 oz Tacky glue. (Make more as needed.)
- Soak the yarn in mixture.
- Remove the excess glue mixture from the yarn with your fingers.
- Blow up the balloon to the size you want the finished yarn ball to be, then tie the end of the yarn to the end of the balloon. Wrap the yarn around the balloon until you achieve the desired look.
- Tie the yarn off at the end of the balloon again, allowing enough yarn to hang the balloon out to dry.
- Hang it until it’s completely dry (may take several hours). Be sure to put some newspaper on the floor or ground below it.
- Pop and remove balloon carefully.
Our first meeting of 2013-2014 is this Wed., Sept 11. Let’s join together in saying this prayer from our Prayer leader, Paula W., for our new year of MOPS:
Thank you for loving us when we feel beautiful; when we feel like we’re a mess. You give us ample grace with just the right balance of discipline to help refine us. We love you so much, and count it a privilege to be called your daughters. As we begin this new MOPS year, we ask that you reveal Yourself to us in ways that are even greater than we can even think or imagine. Our desire is to be a group of ladies who can be used for your glory. Please remind us DAILY of who you are and the great work you are doing in our lives. May we delight in you no matter our circumstances. We trust you.
In Jesus name,
Our MOPS group is managed by a group of moms who share their time and talents to make it all happen. They are our Steering Committee, led by our MOPS Coordinator, Tiffany H.
In August, the new 2013-2014 team met at Bethel for the annual MOPS Steering Retreat. We spent Friday night and all day Saturday getting to know each other, praying together, and planning for the new year. We also made a craft (our personalized MOPS mugs), played a game, and got familiar with this year’s theme: “A Beautiful Mess – Embrace Your Story.”
1. Our MOPS theme: “A Beautiful Mess – Embrace Your Story.”
2. Tiffany demonstrating the wheel technique for storytelling.
3. Steering team members crafting our personalized MOPS mugs.
4. Top secret plans for the new year of MOPS.
The MOPS Steering Committee for 2013-2014 is:
- MOPS Coordinator – Tiffany H.
- MOPS Assistant Coordinators – Elena E., Christin W.
- MOMSNext Coordinators – Kristina S., Yvonne S.
- Discussion Group Leaders – Lara S. (Coordinator), Elena E., Sara M., Laura R., Kristina S., Yvonne S.,and Kelly T.
- Creative Activities – Christin W.
- Finance – Sara E.
- Fundraising – Andriea W.
- Hospitality – Carynn P.
- MOPPETS – Jessica J.
- Publicity – Colleen H.
- Prayer – Paula W.
- Mentor Moms – Melene S., Dot S., Donna W.
You can see the responsibilities for each Steering Committee position here.
“God sure knew what He was doing when He brought this group of women together. Each woman has a different talent and perspective, but the same common goal to glorify God by serving the moms in our group.” – Tiffany H., our MOPS Coordinator
Oh, and one more thing – words of wisdom from a candy wrapper at the retreat. It fits our Beautiful Mess theme so well, don’t you think?