For the first time in a long time (maybe ever?), our MOPS meeting was called for a Snow Day! We asked our MOPS moms how they’re spending this snow day with their preschoolers and we’re sharing their answers here – including a Snow Cream recipe!
So, how are our MOPS moms spending the Snow Day with their preschoolers?
By finding fun indoors:
- “I love to cook, work puzzles, and play board games.” – Fran
- “We will go out to play, eat some cookies, color and play, and maybe pull out the couch bed and watch some movies.” – Colleen
- “Make comfort foods, watch movies and popcorn…do little craft activities.” – Connie
By getting cozy:
- “We will happily sit on the couch and stare at the beauty from under the cozy blankets!” – Kristen
- “Stay in our pajamas all day!!!” – Sara M.
- “My favorite way to spend a snow day is in my comfy clothes.” – Kristina
By getting out in the snow:
- “Get on our snow gear and play outside in the snow with the neighborhood kids!!!” – Yvonne
- “Well, I’d like to curl up with a book by the fire…but alas, my toddler doesn’t really let me do that! The next best thing is to send the eldest outside and take the toddler out there too. He really does LOVE it!!” – Lara S.
- “Pull out all my snow gear and teach my kids how to play in the snow (since they are Southerners)! Seriously praying for good packing snow this time (tho I can make do with the powdery stuff we normally get)!!!” – Elena
With comfort food and Snow Cream:
- “If it’s a snow day, we hope to enjoy playing in the snow, drinking hot cocoa & eating treats when we come in to warm up, making snow cream with snow we collected (snow, milk, vanilla & sugar) & watching movies.” – Paula
- “Snow angels and snow cream.” – Jessica J.
- “We made chocolate chip cookies and bread to help keep us warm.” – Jessica J.
Enjoy your Snow Day, moms! Keep those babies warm.
Not sure whether the weather will affect MOPS? For us, if school is delayed or cancelled due to weather, our MOPS meetings or events are cancelled. If you’re not sure, just check with your discussion group leader or visit our private Facebook group for updates.
Moms, what are your favorite ways to spend snow days with preschoolers?
The all new MOPS magazine, “Hello, Darling” is hitting mailboxes this month. Did you get your copy yet? MOPS International has taken the best of what moms loved about MomSense magazine, poured in a boost of creative energy, and created a new magazine for the unique women and moms who are MOPS.
So, if you’re a registered member, check your mailbox and take a look. Also, more great content is available and free to everyone at the MOPS “Hello, Darling” blog!
Our Dec 18 meeting was our MOPS Christmas Party! Thanks to all the members and Mentor Moms for providing the abundant brunch (check out Christin’s recipe for her Pumpkin Trifle).
The room was festive and colorful, with unique table designs, a huge brunch buffet, a pile of gift-wrapped ornaments for our annual ornament exchange, two tables of raffle prizes, and a photo booth. We’re sharing a peak at everything here!
First, we set the tone with Christmas music. We chose the 2-CD set WOW Christmas (Blue), Deluxe Edition – By: Various Artists – 36 Top Christian Artists and Holiday Songs.
The discussion groups decorated their tables for Christmas based on their group color. Aren’t they beautiful? We’re lucky to have so many creative moms in our group!
Paula kicked off the meeting by demonstrating this printable nativity craft for the moms to try at home with their children. (For an easier option, take a look at this one-page printable nativity craft).
Throughout the morning, we had fun posing in our first MOPS photo booth. See our photo booth instructions and printables if you want to make one like ours.
A highlight of our Christmas events is always our annual ornament exchange. There were a lot more personalized MOPS ornaments making the rounds this year!Christmas Raffle
Our Christmas Raffle was amazing! Our Fundraising Leader Andreia worked hard to collect two tables of fantastic prizes to raise money for our MOPPETS childcare program. See a complete list of all the prizes and winners here.
Thanks to all the moms who worked so hard to make this event special and to everyone who participated in the raffle for supporting our MOPPETS childcare program!
Read and print our latest MOPS newsletter here: MOPS Newsletter 1.5 – January 2014.
Click to read our newsletter for Jan 2014.
For past issues, see our MOPS Newsletter Archive.
MOPS Leaders – editable versions of our newsletters are available on MOPS.org so you can edit and use them for your groups, too. Just log in to the Leaders section of MOPS.org and look for our newsletters under Ideas.
Here’s another snack idea from our MOPPETS Coordinator Jessica: Apple Rollups.
To make them, spread cream cheese on a cinnamon-flavored tortilla, top with thinly-sliced apples, and roll. It’s that easy. And, if you can’t find cinnamon tortillas, you can sprinkle a little cinnamon on the cheese.
Remember, all MOPPETS snacks should be nut-free. Don’t forget to label your containers!
What’s your kiddo’s favorite snack for MOPPETS?
Christin has brought this Pumpkin Trifle to MOPS events like our Thanksgiving Pot Luck and Christmas Party. She was kind enough to share the recipe!
- 2 cans pumpkin
- 2 packages vanilla instant pudding
- 1 tub Cool Whip
- 3 cups milk
- spice cake mix
- 3 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 8-10 ginger snap cookies, crumbled
- 9 whole ginger snap cookies for additional garnish, if desired
- Mix one can of pumpkin with the spice cake mix and bake in a greased 9×12 metal pan for approximately 23 minutes.
- Combine the pudding mix with the milk, the other can of pumpkin, and the pumpkin pie spice.
- When the cake is cool, crumble it into small pieces.
- In a trifle bowl or other similar container, layer the ingredients, as follows: 1/2 of the cake, followed by 1/2 of the pudding mixture, followed by 1/2 of the Cool Whip. Sprinkle with 1/2 of the ginger snap crumbles. Repeat one more time with remaining ingredients.
- Garnish with the whole ginger snap cookies, if desired. Serve, or chill and serve when desired.
Here’s a tip: Christin says it’s even more delicious if you let it chill overnight.
Let us know if you try this recipe. Enjoy!